What's in your Toy Box?
At a professional women's networking group last week, we took time out of our usual routine of hearing from each member about their business to talk about what members like about the group and want more of.
I was surprised by the responses: our members want more informal time, just to talk socially before our meetings; and they want to get away from the underlying competition that they experience in many of their places of business (one called it tiring, another says it's "exhausting!"
I mentioned that although this was a professional network, work stuff isn't really my issue because I'm fortunate that I like my work and have enough of it. What I want is more personally fulfilling free time -- that's when another member told us about her Toy Box.
When the Toy Box topic came up, we laughed at first but then listened very closely. Like many empty nesters, this woman suddenly had more time on her hands. At first it was uncomfortable, but when she began to rediscover things she used to love to do, she started a Toy Box in a part of her home where she likes to relax. That's where she keeps her knitting, her stationary and special stamps for hand-written notes, colored pencils, and other activities she likes to do but had given up, due to lack of time.
I've started my own Tox Box of sorts. Creativity rejuvenates me, so I play with photos I've taken. I have a scrap booking kit, favorite books and magazines, a beading collection, stuff to make tile mosaic arts and crafts, and of course, many personal writing projects.
In the frantic dash between work and family responsibilities, many women give up their Toy Boxes. One friend currently caught in this whirlwind wondered what fun would be left in her life by the time her child leaves home. "You can always get back to the things you love," I told her.
But she wondered and I wonder if letting go of what rejuvenates you is a wise thing to do. Perhaps it would be better to let go of a few work and home related responsibilities. And dig into your Toy Box once in a while, even if you have kids at home.
I was surprised by the responses: our members want more informal time, just to talk socially before our meetings; and they want to get away from the underlying competition that they experience in many of their places of business (one called it tiring, another says it's "exhausting!"
I mentioned that although this was a professional network, work stuff isn't really my issue because I'm fortunate that I like my work and have enough of it. What I want is more personally fulfilling free time -- that's when another member told us about her Toy Box.
When the Toy Box topic came up, we laughed at first but then listened very closely. Like many empty nesters, this woman suddenly had more time on her hands. At first it was uncomfortable, but when she began to rediscover things she used to love to do, she started a Toy Box in a part of her home where she likes to relax. That's where she keeps her knitting, her stationary and special stamps for hand-written notes, colored pencils, and other activities she likes to do but had given up, due to lack of time.
I've started my own Tox Box of sorts. Creativity rejuvenates me, so I play with photos I've taken. I have a scrap booking kit, favorite books and magazines, a beading collection, stuff to make tile mosaic arts and crafts, and of course, many personal writing projects.
In the frantic dash between work and family responsibilities, many women give up their Toy Boxes. One friend currently caught in this whirlwind wondered what fun would be left in her life by the time her child leaves home. "You can always get back to the things you love," I told her.
But she wondered and I wonder if letting go of what rejuvenates you is a wise thing to do. Perhaps it would be better to let go of a few work and home related responsibilities. And dig into your Toy Box once in a while, even if you have kids at home.
Labels: creativity, time for me


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home